- Output impedance compensation offsets headphone frequency dips and peaks
- AC coupled output prevents DC headphone damage
- Two inputs: two sources or "tape loop"
- Headphone impedance-ranging volume control - no gain switches!
- "Always-on" for optimum sound quality
- 'Green' switchmode or linear PSU1 external power supply options
- Full size headphone jack
That super top end, a wonderfully open midrange and a low noise floor made everything I listened to sound great; the better the recording, the more I heard. So I plundered my CD collection for the best recorded tracks I own, including some SACDs that have been languishing in the drawers. The Solo did the business whether I was listening to Bob Dylan or Diana Krall or my copy of the Stockfisch Records demo disc or if I was working through stuff like Shelby Lynn or the Watson Twins. The Solo does a very good job of deconstructing music like this and laying it out clearly, along with any ambience, venue noise or low-level detail that has been captured, which enhances and expands the “head-stage” while allowing a listener to hear how the various parts of the recording fit together.
- ASHLEY KRAMER, Witchdoctor.co.nz, 2010
Reviewing the Solo MC in 2005 I wrote "The strengths of the Solo are in the extra high frequency extension, a superb transient response and an unsurpassed dynamic range."
...today’s SRG II is a significantly better performer than the Solo MC, with the biggest improvements in the bass and the all-important midrange. Maximum sound pressure levels are higher while the clean treble and lightning reflexes have been maintained. Distortion and background noise are lower than before, making it easier to listen to the music, to enjoy the texture of the instruments and voices.
- Phil Gold, Canada Hi-Fi, 2011
I have listened to a ton of music. This little amplifier has caused a wholesale reappraisal of my music collection. Some CDs never used to get much play because I thought they were poorly recorded. With the Solo, the superb stereo separation transforms them into gems. For example, The Velvet Underground aren't famous for leaving behind a legacy of hi-fi recordings. Their album 'The Velvet Underground and Nico' is a masterpiece of 1960's hiss and distortion. Despite the sonic shortcomings, however, the Solo separates everything in a way that allows the music shine through.
- forum member: DonutsAreGood
So far with such a limited burn-in and not using the PSU1 I can say:
- The soundstage width is huge! The depth makes the user feel he/she is in the stage w/ the musicians instead of in front of them.
- There is a lot of air between the notes.
- The mids are to die for w/ a level of clarity rarely heard in other amps so early in the burn-in process. At times I feel the musicians are in the same room as I am.
- The amp has great treble extension w/o any harshness or shrillness.
- The bass is tight and very well defined. I wish there was a bit more of it, hope that burn-in and the use of the PSU1 will provide the additional punch.
- forum member: mrarroyo
Solo SRGII headphone amplifier supplied with "green" switched mode power supply
The Solo Studio Reference "Green" Mk.II — SRGII for short, is the result of 10 years of innovative headphone amplifier development.
Originally made for studio monitoring, the Solo SRGII still finds use in commercial editing studios where it captures edit points so elusive to other headphone amps. It was also supplied to the BBC, modified to accept PO 316 (BPO) jack plugs. It is best partnered with studio headphones — for a headphone amplifier geared to driving the most difficult hi-fi headphones see the Solo Ultra-Linear Diamond Edition.
|Headphone impedance range||16 to 600 Ohms preferred; 8 to 2,000 Ohms acceptable|
|Power output (rms, both channels fully driven)||32 Ohms: 27mW/channel; 600 Ohms: 23mW/channel|
|Distortion (THD plus noise, ref 1kHz)||0.02%|
|Frequency response (-3dB)||32 Ohms load: 27Hz - 35kHz; 600 Ohms load: 10Hz - 39kHz|
|Output noise (20Hz-20kHz, CCIR quasi-peak)||-84dB|
|Input sensitivity (for specified power output)||32 Ohms: 250mV rms; 600 Ohms: 775mV rms|
|Channel balance||better than 1dB, "9 to 3 o'clock" positions|
|Crosstalk||Left to Right -57dB; Input to Input -68dB|
|Mute||Signal off mute, non-shorting|
|Output Stage||Bipolar class AB|
|Supply voltage||24V DC|
|Size (approx.)||W: 107 x H: 50 x D: 185 (mm) inc. controls|
Specifications subject to alteration without notice in keeping with our continuous improvement policy.
Free Home Trial *
- 2 weeks free* trial in your own system
- UK, USA, Canada, Australia, Western Europe
- Most products available
- No follow up sales calls
- Friendly forum to chat with other users
* excludes shipping costs
We're so confident in the performance of our products that if you live in the UK, the USA, Canada, Australia or Western Europe you're able to borrow most of our products for a free* 2 week home trial - because we know there's nothing like auditioning hi-fi components at home, in your own time!
Is there a catch? Absolutely not! You'll have no annoying sales calls.
All you need to do to get started is join our Forum and drop a private message to the loan co-ordinator for your area.